Neck Pain is a Common Problem
Neck pain is a common problem with many possible causes. Poor posture, hunching over a computer, arthritis, whiplash, and muscle strain from simple things like reading in bed or grinding your teeth can all trigger neck pain.
In rare cases, neck pain can be a sign of something serious. Seek immediate attention if your neck pain is accompanied by severe headache, shooting pain in your shoulder or arm, numbness or loss of strength in your arms or hands, trouble speaking, swallowing or walking, blurred vision or loss of balance.
Your neck is part of your spine which runs from the base of your skull to the bottom of your back. Keeping your back safe and strong also protects your neck.
Try these tips to help prevent neck pain:
- Warm up before and stretch out after physical activities such as sports, gardening or other household projects.
- Stretch after an hour of television viewing or sitting at the computer.
- Work on your posture both standing and seated to keep your spine properly aligned.
- Make sure your work station is ergonomic with good low back support.
- Drink water to keep the disks of your spine hydrated.
Some things to avoid:
- Cradling a phone on your shoulder
- Falling asleep on the arm of the sofa
- Thin pillows that provide no neck support
Taking a few preventative measures will help reduce your chances of neck pain and keep you discomfort free.