Partnering with Chiropractors
It is common for patients with multiple comorbid chronic conditions to suffer from MSK challenges. These challenges can reduce strength and prevent patients from engaging in the active phase of their care, thereby exacerbating existing conditions. Chiropractors can play a key role in the shared care of complex patients with MSK conditions through bolstering these patients’ efforts to manage pain, prevent injury and improve physical function. The OCA has prepared resources which provide information on chiropractic, and describe how chiropractors can play a key role in collaborative models of care for complex patient populations:
- The Patient Experience: What to Expect
This handout describes an initial chiropractic assessment, subsequent visits and common therapies chiropractors use.
- Education, Licensure & Regulation
This handout describes the educational and regulatory frameworks chiropractors must complete in order to practice.
- Building Referral Relationships with Midwives
The OCA partnered with the Association of Ontario Midwives to develop this handout which outlines the benefits of an interprofessional approach to prenatal and postpartum care.
- Opioids & MSK Pain: Consider Chiropractic
This one-pager describes the new Canadian opioid guidelines and how chiropractors can offer non-pharmacological pain management options.
- Ontario’s Chiropractors: Partnering in Primary Health Care
This brochure describes how chiropractors can play a key role in the shared care of complex patients with MSK conditions through bolstering these patients’ efforts to manage pain, prevent injury and improve physical function.
- Collaborative Models of Care: Primary Care
This handout describes how chiropractors are working alongside other health professionals in interprofessional primary care teams, through referral arrangements and at volunteer clinics.
- Collaborative Models of Care: Hospital Relationships
This handout describes how chiropractors can reduce costs and improve patient flow through pre-surgical assessment and triage, emergency department diversion and at hospital-based chiropractic clinics.
- Impact of MSK Conditions on the Ontario Health System
This infographic depicts the current impact of MSK conditions on Ontario’s health system, typical patient flow through that system and how chiropractors can help to save Ontario money and improve patient outcomes.
- Medical Post Advertorial – “Chiropractic Collaboration in Primary Care” – February 2014
- Medical Post Advertorial – “Shared Care: An Effective Way To Beat MSK Conditions” – April 2014
- Medical Post Advertorial – “The Impact of Chiropractic Care in Hospital Settings” – May 2014
- Medical Post Advertorial – “Low Back Pain: Integrating Care” – May 2015
- Medical Post Advertorial – “Shoulder Injuries: Integrating Care” – May 2015
- Medical Post Advertorial – “Complex Patients: Integrating Care” – June 2015
- Medical Post Advertorial – “Chiropractic Care and Neck Pain: A Primer” – September 2015
- Medical Post Advertorial – “Chiropractic Role in Pain Management” – October 2016
If you are interested in having someone from the OCA or a chiropractor present to your organization on how we can work collaboratively to provide high quality, cost-effective, patient-centred care, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-877-327-2273.