A core goal of the OCA is to provide an outstanding member experience. To achieve this goal the OCA advances the profession by increasing awareness of the benefits of chiropractic care for both individuals and the health care system. We also provide our members valuable tools to help them build strong and successful practices. This allows members to focus on providing exceptional patient care.
On behalf of our members the OCA conducts strategic outreach efforts designed to build the reputation and credibility of the profession.
Generating public awareness — Marketing and communications materials including the successful We’ve Got Your Back advertising campaign and the EHC Patient Advocacy Program. The program includes an OCA brochure titled When Chiropractic Is Covered, Everyone Benefits, as well as a poster, a backgrounder and a how-to guide.
Media Relations — In 2011/2012 the volume of positive media coverage of the chiropractic increased by 45% to 66 million media impressions. The increase in volume was paired with an increase in the calibre of the news outlets that wrote about chiropractic. Global News, the National Post, the Toronto Star and the Canadian Press all presented positive stories about our profession over the last year. That media coverage focussed on our public education efforts. Our clear and concise recommendations to help Ontarian’s and their families prevent injuries have been embraced far and wide.
Advocacy — The OCA works with government decision makers, participating in pre-budget and health care consultations, as well as preparing briefs and presentations. The association’s government relations activities also include training DCs as riding designates to generate awareness about the benefits of chiropractic at the grassroots level with MPPs and candidates throughout Ontario.
Benefits of OCA Membership
OCA membership offers many benefits, including:
- Joint membership in the Canadian Chiropractic Association.
- The OCA Continuing Education curriculum.
- Access to the Canadian Chiropractic Protective Association liability coverage. The CCPA also provides the highest level of professional liability coverage to new graduates at a reduced rate when they join the OCA.
- Access to the OCA’s PMP and ChiroWrite practice enhancement software developed by chiropractors for chiropractors and backed by support staff with experience in chiropractic practices.
- Discount programs with partners like Goodlife Fitness and TD Meloche Monnex.
- Communications tools, public education PowerPoint presentations, MD referral forms and patient education materials, including the Chiropractic Care and You pamphlet.
- Special events, such as the OCA’s Pathways to Practice, the association’s professional development day and tradeshow.
- Access to the OCA's Member and Family Assistance Program (MFAP), provided by Wilson Banwell-Proact-Human Solutions. Access to services are available 24-7, by phone or online and is completely confidential.